Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Penguins' Rock Opens Tomorrow!

Wow! It's almost time for the Tennessee Aquarium's penguins to meet everyone. In some ways it's hard to believe this day is finally here. I have been telling everyone that even though I have worked with penguins before, this is the first time I have been able to be part of a project like this from the ground up. And I have loved every minute of it. Getting to know the penguins has been the most fun. And relationship building is really one of the most important aspects of being the penguin keeper. You have to get to know the gentoos and macaronis in order to understand how they are doing. So you may see me simply observing the birds like in the picture above. By watching them preening or hopping along the rocks, I can tell who is acting happy and healthy. Some of the penguins may be more outgoing all of the time, a few might be a little shy. If one of the more outgoing penguins starts acting a little shy for example, is there a reason for the shyness? In that way, penguins are like children. If they are real active most of the time, and one day they get up acting sluggish you feel their forehead and ask, "Are you all right?" Except that these little ones can't tell me how they are feeling. Speaking of little ones, we had a few school groups take a sneek peek of our penguins yesterday. You should have seen their faces light up when they saw these amazing birds. For all of the people who have worked so hard for so long to bring penguins to Chattanooga, the smiles on little faces make it all worthwhile.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I enjoyed reading this blog to see Penguin's Rock take shape. I loved seeing the penguins live on the webcam. Can't wait to see them in real life!

Katrina said...

The penguins are GREAT!!! My daughter has been looking forward to this for a year. She is penguin crazy. She would love to work with penguins someday. What are your qualifications?

oceanviewer said...

I was really amazed at the water movement in the exhibit. Is it caused by the Penguins going in and out of the water?