Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Great Blue Heron Snags Lunch On The Fly

This great blue heron was spotted catching lunch on the fly from aboard the River Gorge Explorer. Two herons were flying along when this one suddenly changed course and dipped down to snatch a fish. Herons spend much of their time stalking meals along the shoreline, so it was a bit of a surprise to see this one acting like an osprey.

There's just a little time remaining to snatch a great deal: From now until April 19th, The River Gorge Explorer Early Bird Special – is just $20 per person when you book the 10:00 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. cruise in advance. Call 1-800-262-0695 for your reservation and mention the "Early Bird Special".

1 comment:

Alexa and Cindy said...

love it! GBHs are my favorite bird. We live on a lake and early in the morning if I don't make a commotion, I can watch them on our seawall looking for fish. Once, last summer, one swooped down in front of our house, grabbed a HUGE fish I couldn't I.D. and proceeded to *try* to eat it in our yard. 45 minutes later, he ended up flying off with the fish, still uneaten. I think it was too big!

We love to watch them fly over the house. We have a rookery with over 250 nests about a mile from our house. Alexa says I'm crazy for Herons!