Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weird Fish Found - Oooooh, or EWWWW!?

 Here's a fish story that will either make you say, "Oooh" or "EWWW!" A Middle Tennessee resident e-mailed this picture with a rather amusing story. "I live in Murfreesboro, TN and noticed my dog chomping on something in the yard. I took it away from him and found that it was this creepy fish head. Do you know how to get in touch with someone who may know what this thing is? I would have guessed some kind of catfish but to my knowledge they don't grow teeth like this. I'm really curious.Thanks! Erin"

Carol Haley, the Tennessee Aquarium's assistant curator of fishes, held her nose and made a quick ID of this aromatic discovery.  "Erin, It is definitely a catfish, and most likely a flathead catfish. Thanks for the photo, I have added to my collection of gnarly fish! - Carol Haley"

Mystery solved. By the way Erin, the next time you visit stop by the Nickajack Lake exhibit in the Aquarium's River Journey building. You'll be able to see a living example of what your dog brought home. Flatheads are pretty cool fish.


And stop by the gift shop on your way out. You might want to buy some "Reef Fresh Mints" for your pooch. They'll come in handy the next time your canine friend brings home a "creepy fish head."


1 comment:

lily said...

I come to visit naka...